Bridges to the Future

A Mathematics & Science Teachers Initiative Project  @ 


Information Binder
Photo Gallery

powered by FreeFind

Partner Academic Departments





Our local partner CCs

Pasadena City College

East Los Angeles College

Los Angeles Community College

Glendale Community College

Rio Hondo College

Chaffey College

Download MSTI Flyer for more information

Articulation information for Transfer  students

Academic Plan for Transfer Students


Credential questions


Note: To obtain a credential one needs: A degree with subject matter competency + education courses + directed teaching.

bulletWhat are the different ways one can obtain a SINGLE-SUBJECT CREDENTIAL (SECONDARY CREDENTIAL)?

Please see Pathways.

bulletHow long does it take to obtain a REGULAR SINGLE-SUBJECT CREDENTIAL?

A full time student (completing one block per quarter) completes the coursework and directed teaching in 5 quarters. A part-time student (taking 2 courses per quarter) completes the coursework and directed teaching in about 6 quarters.

bulletWhat is an INTERN SINGLE-SUBJECT CREDENTIAL (internship)?

In the intern credential program, the student is placed as a teaching intern in a district by the education department. S/he works as a teacher during the day and completes the courses at evening. It may or may not take longer than a regular credential. Please contact Dr. Andrea Maxie (see members page) for more information.

bulletDo I need to have my degree before I can apply to credential program?

No. Typically one can apply in the last two years of their degree program. A degree is however required in order to receive a credential.

bulletWhat is the minimum GPA needed to be admitted to the single-subject credential program?

2.75 in the last 90 quarter units of work. Other avenue is to apply through a Special Action Petition. In order to be eligible for this action, a student must have a minimum 2.5 GPA and have passed all sections of CBEST.

bulletHow do I apply for the CREDENTIAL PROGRAM?

Please visit application website. Also, group advisement sessions are offered at CCOE quarterly that provide an overview of the application process. Please call 323-343-4342 to find out when these sessions are available.

bulletDo I need to take CSET?

As of now, Single subject credential students can satisfy subject matter competency through waiver program.


It is a lower level analog of single subject credential  (in Math) that lets one to teach high-school math up to a certain level .  Students can only pass CSET tests 1 and 2 and be subject matter qualified for this credential (or take a qualified subject matter waiver program), which allows them to teach general math, algebra, geometry, probability and statistics, and consumer math (no calculus).

bulletWhat is the difference between a B.A./B.S. and a SUBJECT MATTER WAIVER PROGRAM?

The first two are degree programs as opposed to the latter which is a CCTC (California Commission of Teacher Credentialing) approved set of courses that qualifies one as subject matter competent. However, a BA/BS program may also be subject matter approved, e.g. A BA/BS in mathematics in SSC option (see Pathways) at CSULA is subject matter approved.

Here is an example of how a waiver program can be used. Suppose a music BA wants to teach mathematics. S/he must demonstrate competency in mathematics either by passing CSET exams in mathematics, or by successfully completing the subject matter waiver program approved by the CCTC.

Important: If you completed the subject matter waiver program at another institution and want to pursue credential at CSULA, you must get appropriate verification not only from the subject matter dept. but also the education dept. of that institution.


A supplementary authorization was used to enable one already holding a full single-subject credential to teach in an area other than his/her subject matter area. For example, a physics teacher wishing to also teach mathematics could complete this authorization to teach math as well. Important: This authorization is not NCLB (No Child Left Behind bill of Bush Government) compliant and since has been replaced by the introductory authorization.

An Introductory Authorization is satisfied by completing 48 quarter units in a designated subject, and is typically spread across different areas within that subject. Students are recommended to talk to school districts and the CCTC before completing this authorization, as currently CSULA does not offer this authorization.

bulletI have a degree, but it is not in math/science. Should I go for a second degree, or are there any other options?

Typically obtaining a BA/BS would require more work than is necessary for subject matter competency that can be done by either passing required CSET test, or completing the approved subject matter waiver program.

Important: Even you have a degree in math/science, you may not be subject matter competent by CCTC standards. For example, if you have a BS in math with applied math option at CSULA, you may not have completed all the required courses for subject matter competency.         

bulletIf I opt for a second degree, will it take same amount of time as my first degree, or less?

Typically it is less if both degrees are from the same university, otherwise it depends on the particular universities involved.

bulletI have other questions, who do I see?

Please see any advisors (depending on your question) listed on members list.

Subject Matter competency
bulletWhat  financial helps are available for a prospective teacher?

Please see funding part of Resources.

bulletWhat is a standard secondary teacher salary?

It depends on the district and your qualifications. A typical beginning salary for a high-school teacher is around $42000 for 10-month along with health and retirement benefits.

bulletAre there ways I can better my salary?

One way is to obtain a National Board Certified Teacher certificate.

bulletIs there anyone I can talk to for advice?

We are currently trying to build our teacher alumni database. In the mean time you are welcome to contact one of the members so we can lead you to an experienced teacher you can talk to.

bulletAre there any programs to support a beginning teacher like me?

BITSA program.












Home | Members | Pathways | FAQ | Information Binder | Resources | Photo Gallery |  Credentials

 A property of California State University at Los Angeles
For problems or questions regarding this website contact webmaster[].